Saturday, December 29, 2007

A Third Alternative?!

It has been difficult trying to figure out where to start this discussion. A few people have asked good questions recently that seemed like good starting points. My friend Scott, for example, whose childhood faith parallels mine (ie. attended the same large Baptist church, lived for the same evangelical summer camp, and got baptized together) asked if the Orthodox church isn't just the same thing in different cultural clothing. That is, don't Protestantism and Orthodoxy have "the same Jesus, same Bible, [just] different styles"?

It's a good question, and one that I hope I can answer adequately. But in order to, eventually, do that I have a lot of ground to cover first. So, I think it will be best, and easiest, if I start by recounting what originally drew me to Orthodoxy. (Hopefully Shannon will post soon too about her side of the story.)

It is slightly ironic that it was not until my time at a thoroughly evangelical university that I started this journey toward Orthodoxy. My mother, I just learned last week, was baptized, as an infant, in the Ukranian Orthodox church, and, while I always knew that my grandma and grandpa, long ago, attended an old fashioned church very different from my familiar Baptist mega-church, I never knew that it was one of the three major branches of Christendom, and I certainly didn't know anything about it. Growing up in North America in the 20th Century, I was aware of several dozen different varieties of Protestantism, but beyond that it was just the Catholics.

And Catholics, I was led to believe, were hopelessly wrong about Christianity. I don't remember very many explicit, systematic denunciations of Catholicism in my church, but even from passing remarks and the occasional half-answered question one quickly learned to smugly recite a few of their fundamental flaws:

-They worship Mary

-They believe that the bread and wine actually turn into the real flesh and blood of Christ

-They think priests can forgive your sins and that you earn forgiveness by saying enough Hail Mary's

-They think the Pope is perfect and doesn't sin

Anti-Catholic sentiments among evangelicals have abated in the last 10 or 15 years, thank God, and in general evangelicals have a more nuanced understanding of the above mentioned issues--which, I hope you see, are grossly oversimplified or distorted. But understand that this was the climate I grew up in. Evangelicals, in my experience, weren't openly hostile toward Catholics but there was always a tacit condemnation of their egregious beliefs and practices.

So it was something of a revelation when, in my Introduction to Theology class at TWU, the professor began speaking of the Eastern Orthodox church. "What!?," I thought, "You mean there's a church that is a) not considered outright heretical and that is b) neither Catholic nor Protestant??" As we learned a little more I became even more intrigued. For I learned that:

- while the Orthodox certainly accord Mary great honor, she does not play the same allegedly essential role of "co-redemptrix" that she does in the Catholic church.
- And while they take seriously Jesus' words that the bread is his body and the wine is his blood they do not seek to explain how exactly this might be the case, as the Catholics do with their theory of Transubstantiation.
-I didn't learn much about the role of the priest in forgiveness and their view of penance at the time, but I was heartened to learn that...
-They have no pope nor corresponding theological difficulties. The church is still governed by council.

Here then was an orthodox (small 'o') church that was emphatically not Protestant and, at least upon first glance, shared none of the qualities of the Catholic church that rubbed my inherited qualms the wrong way.

After that discovery, any time the topic of Orthodoxy was offered as an option for papers or projects in any of my classes I snatched it up. And thus began my current religious peregrination.

5 comments:

Timothy said...

Greetings and welcome to the Blogosphere! Saw your post in Google Blogsearch and came to read.

Great post on your discovery of the Eastern Church. Look forward to the rest of your conversion story.

Sometime in the future you might consider posting your take on the recent EO meeting in Ravenna, Italy where the primacy of the Bishop of Rome was re-confirmed. It will be interesting to see what authority or status the EO will accord the Pope's primacy.

God bless...

James Moes said...

I like the clothing metaphor.

I find in the Orthodox church more than just a new tee shirt slogan to be worn. I find a wardrobe to return to again and again: two millennia of stories and saints, churches of many diverse cultures still holding to the same tradition & liturgy (the american, greek, russian, coptic, etc...) in their respective languages, a calendar full of feast-days, prayer services which happen whether-or-not I attend, spiritual fathers, monks, a sense of the sacred & sacramental, an appropriate & individual rule of prayer, prayer ropes, fasting, Holy Week, icons, a beholding of Mary (in honour, in context), sign of the cross, candles, incense. And yes, within the wardrobe, layers of colourful vestments that many would like to see as their bedroom curtains.

Orthodox believers, and especially tired/zealous converts, can fall into the trap of cloaking themselves behind Eastern slogans & rituals & spirituality. And Protestants and Catholics can fall into the trap of cloaking their faith behind the same things but of a different flavour. Unfortunately, we are all susceptible to spiritual laziness -- neglecting to continually wash anew our spiritual garments -- resulting in a foul stench of Christian testimony.

I don't believe we are to focus on the shortcomings of our brothers and sisters, but seek the kingdom/home where we will be continually reminded of the Truth in story, song, prayer, and confession. I have found the Orthodox wardrobe to be more than a convenient bin of accessories which go out of style after a few years.

Moreover, I have found Orthodoxy to establish relationships properly: towards the church Tradition, the church present, and the world. The body-politic of the church is called first to obedience; in confession, prayer, and celebration. This is another discussion.

-

A little about TWU. I also attended this school of my hometown. Yes, it's a thoroughly evangelical university in its roots, but not in its present academic reality. Professors are Anglican, Catholic, Protestant and Orthodox, not to mention some non-church-goers. Many of the theology professors (who are evangelical) spend their time critiquing a spiritual adolescence found within the evangelical Church (rightfully challenging young students to think outside the framework given to them). Moreover, one can take Theology classes at the adjacent Catholic college (Redeemer Pacific). I took advantage of this and fell for Pope John Paul II's writings.

All this to say that while TWU was birthed from the Evangelical Free Church, many of its decision-makers aren't. With the new President Jonathan Raymond hailing from Salvation Army heritage, I only see the school moving more towards a social gospel mission with a loose ecumenical lattice.

-

As to the Catholics, I like the primacy of the Pope, only I struggle with some of the understandings of his role. The Orthodox church's lack of centrality does have its fair share of problems, and ought to be challenged.

-

Brian, I look forward to seeing you this coming weekend!

Brian said...

James thanks for the thoughts. You touched on much that I will address in the future.

Maybe, if you're willing, we could have you as a guest poster and you could tell us something more about your journey to Orthodoxy.

beka said...

Saw your status update in facebook...looked at pics of jr...saw the link to Liminal Incense...and read.

I just may return. :)

BTW - I gave a Martin Gardner book as a gift to my smart mathy friend. Thanks for the tip!

Sheryl (Agape) said...

Brian & Shannon - first, I hope Shannon is doing well and I'm looking forward to seeing the little one.

I have read your journey and the comments, and I'm especially interested in what James had to say and what you want to address. I believe you refer to Orthodoxy as the 3rd alternative. Am I right? What, very specifically, makes you a reluctant catechuman? I should mention I was a convert to Orthodoxy after being a very active Protestant for nearly 30 years. I do know the anguish of the journey and the difficulty of coming to grips with the fact that everything you thought you knew about Christianity is being challenged. I honestly don't know if I can offer anything to the conversation, but before I even try, I would like to hear more from you. I have invited a friend of my, Dawn Fang, to enter the dialogue. She is currently a catechuman in Riverside, CA.
Blessings to you, as you prepare to enter parenthood for the 1st time! That in itself is an incredible journey!!

Sheryl