Monday, December 17, 2007

Inauguration

Welcome to our new blog. If you don't care for religious discussion and you just want to hear about our family's domestic doings go to our other blog Rushcapades.

Here, we look forward to sharing all things relating to our journey toward Eastern Orthodoxy. My next post will initiate a series of posts chronicling my journey toward Orthodoxy: from the early dissatisfaction with evangelicalism--the form of Christianity in which I was raised--through my inchoate interest in this previously unknown ancient branch/trunk of the Christian faith, to the point where my wife, Shannon, and I are now.

We have been regularly attending an Antiochian church for almost three years now, where we have been catechumens for over half that time.

We view the decision to be chrismated as a serious, life-long commitment to the community and a radical shift in lifestyle, so we're not rushing into it. As much as we can't imagine reverting to evangelicalism, we still have our reservations about Orthodoxy and we hope that this blog will incite lively discussion, with others of all backgrounds raising questions that will sharpen our discernment, catalyze the seeking-learning process and jolt me out of the comfortable doldrums in which I find myself (I won't presume to speak for Shannon here).

Your participation is key. If you read something here that you think is crazy or enticing, if something about Orthodoxy perplexes you or rubs you the wrong way, if you think Orthodoxy is a corrupt, irrelevant bag of $#!+, say so. Honesty reigns supreme here and I'm not easily offended. I am most interested in finding Truth. So while the trajectory of our journey has a likely destination--becoming Orthodox--it is by no means a foregone conclusion. I am more than willing to entertain the possibility that I (we) might ultimately reject Orthodoxy. And it is not completely outside the realm of possibility that at the end of the journey I won't even be Christian any more. To truly seek truth I think one needs to be open to such potentialities. In fact, in moments of utmost honesty, I know myself to be much more agnostic than I regularly admit.

But, before I get sidetracked on an endless rabbit trail of faith, doubt, and uncertainty, I want to reiterate: if you read this blog and you have something to say, please do! Leave a comment, send me an email, call me, whatever.

Wherever you are in life, join us in this discussion and journey.

3 comments:

Jodi said...

Brian,

I'm looking forward to reading your upcoming posts telling about this journey, and I will comment and ask questions as they come to mind. I appreciate your willingness to be transparent and open to discussion as you and Shannon head down this road. And, I'll look forward to learning a thing or two! :)

aimee said...

By saying that you 'may not be Christian by the end of that journey,' what do you mean? Not choosing to identify with a specific 'church' group, or denying the deity of Jesus? I think that it is great to question what we believe and practice.
Aimee

Rob said...

Hi Brian
was drawn to the "dissatisfaction with the evangelical church, or evangelicalism" cant remember which it was, but am interested to see what are the things that have driven you away.

Rob